The Next Team Rocket - Part Three

by Pika-chan

Chapter Six - The Rocket Raft

"Well!" James exclaimed. "Of course we'd have to leave the balloon for repairs in Satrudo and of course we'll run into a river while we walk around waiting......"

Jesse continued his speech. "And of course we'll want to cross that river and have a picnic on that great patch of grass on the other side and course we can't......"

"Cause I can't swim and Jesse and James don't wanna get wet and we don't have a boat!" Meowth wailed.

Team Rocket let out a heavy sigh and hung their heads. Behind them, with Ryer carrying the picnic basket, Team Rocket Two got a bright idea.

"I had hoped I'd never have to use this." Ruka said, quietly pulling an orange oval from her skirt pocket. She held it up in the air and shouted.

"But for the sake of our picnic I will!"

"What's that?" James asked drolely. "A bar of soap for us to float across the river on?"

"No." Ryer said putting the picnic basket on Mew's head. She fell over.

"Ruka is that what I think it is?" His sister nodded energetically.

"THE ROCKET RAFT!" they shouted together high fiving one another.

"What's the rocket raft?" Jesse asked. Ruka set the little oval in the water and pulled on a string. "It's a raft." she said obviously as an eight foot inflatable boat grew in the water.

It was white with a large red R on the side.

"We'll just paddle over to the far bank, eat and come back." Ryer grinned.

"A boat?" James said fearfully. "Um.. maybe we could just eat over here."

"What's wrong with a boat?" Jesse asked.

"The last three times I was on a boat were disastrous!" James wailed.

"The St. Anne sunk and we just about died, then that kid rigged that boat and his Farfetche'd stole our Pokemon and the first time I ever took a boat I..." He stopped short. "Oh I can't even talk about it!"

"Does it involve Jessebell throwing away oars?" Jesse asked. James screamed and collapsed, holding his head. "Aaaah! Don't say that name!"

"Ooh, old-girlfriend-related anxiety." Ryer said.

"Maybe we could blindfold him and take him across." Ruka suggested. "That's what they do to a scared Rapidash."

"I'm not an animal!" James screamed indignantly.

"Would you feel better if I held you?" Jesse asked. James blinked at her. A long moment of scilence passed.

"Would you cover my eyes for me?" he asked finally. Jesse nodded. Meowth looked at her as though she were insane.

"Okay." James said quietly. "I guess thank might work."

"Are we in the boat yet?" James asked nervously, clinging to Jesse.

"Yes, James?" Jesse said for the thousandth time as Ruka and Ryer slowly rowed across the river, trying to shake the boat as little as possible. Mew sat with Meowth on the front seat. Ruk and Ry in the middle, Jesse and the terrified James in the back.

"I can't see anything." James whined. "I'm scared Jesse!"

"You asked me to cover your eyes." she wheezed as he tightened his grip around her waist.

"Can I look?" He whimpered. "Just to see how far across we are?"

"Do you promise not to panic?" she asked. James nodded.

"Okay." The instant Jesse let go of his eyes James took one look at the tiny ripples on the calm water, screamed and began jumping around in the boat.

"We're sinking! We're sinking!" he shrieked.

"Mom! Distract him or we really will be sinking!" Ruka yelled, tipping sideways on her section of the shaking raft. Meowth and Mew were both yowling like Airodactyls in the front of the boat.

Jesse then angrily grabbed James by the chin and kissed him hard. His body went slack and he sunk into the seat next to Jesse.

Ruk, Ry, Mew and Meowth all stared for a moment at the two of them, locked together at the mouth.

"Works for me." Ruka said finally and she and Ryer paddled as fast as possible to the opposite shore.

As the two Team Rockets climbed onto the shore Jesse let go of James.

"Sorry." James mummbled, curling into a nervous ball.

"It's okay." Jesse sighed, seating herself in the grass. "I shouldn't have let you look."

"Well we're across at least." Ryer said.

"I told you we should have blindfolded him." Ruka growled

"Guys?" Mew asked, softly. "Would now be a good time to tell you that you left the picnic basket on the other side?" Jesse, James, Ruka and Ryer looked across at their picnic, sitting quietly on the opposite shore.

A unanimous cry went up through the trees.

Chapter Seven - Dinner with Team R

"I'm starving." Ruka complained, hugging her stomach as the two Team R's walked along the road. "I'm sure I can figure out how to get Ry and me home but I don't think well on an empty stomach."

"Well the mechanic said he'd be a few more hours fixing the balloon." James sighed, looking at his watch. "Let's get something to eat."

"I am sort of hungry myself." Jesse said. "Hey what's that sign say?"

"Free all you can eat buffet if you can show the cook his favorite Pokemon." Ryer read.

"I wonder what his favorite Pokemon is?" Ruka said.

"Well how about you show me what you've got." said a cheerful voice from behind them. The two Team R's spun to see a chubby man with a bushy red mustache.

"My brother's a Psyduck fan but I've got a diffrent favorite. We both run a deal like this at our resturants." he grinned from under his chefs hat.

"Oh yeah. I heard about that deal. Pretty neat." Ryer said.

"I bet your favorite Pokemon likes food." Ruka mused. "And I bet it's cute and small.

"Yup." the man nodded.

"And I bet it's full of surprises." Ruka said.

"Yes." Said the man. "So what is it?"

"My Ditto!" Ruka cried, holding up her pink blob proudly.

"Nope." said the man. Ruka sweatdropped. "Yes it is. See. Ditto. Duplicate an Eevee." The Ditto ducplicated the Pokemon perfectly.

"Wow! Hey that is my favorite Pokemon!" the chef cried.

"Smart girl. Come on in!"

"Wahoo!" James cheered. "Free food!"

"Why don't you two guys find a table." Jesse said, taking Ruka by the arm as the two Team R's entered the resturant. "Ladies rules, we must freshen up. You understand." She pulled Ruka along with her toward the washrooms.

"You find us." James called and nodded for Ryer to follow him. They picked out a secluded table for four on the resturant's upper level and sat down, ordering water for everyone from the waiter. As he leafed through the menu and sipped at his water James looked up at Ryer.

"So..." he asked akwardly. "Any girlfriends in the future?"

"I go steady with one of the quads." he replied, shrugging. "Do you like Mom yet?"

"Well I've always liked her." James said slowly. "She's a great friend." Ryer raised his eyebrows knowingly from across the table.

"Hell I love her." James groaned. "I'm just trying to think how to say it so that she won't hit me with her mallet."

"I'm just trying to think how to say it so that he won't go crazy and pass out on me." Jesse sighed in reply to Ruka's question, twisting up her tube of lipstick.

"Well I bet if you just told him that you love him he'd understand totally." Ruka said, hoping up on the edge of the sink counter as she dabbed some concealer powder over the bridge of her nose. She smiled at her mother.

"Trust me. He'll understand."

"You think?" James asked, leaning hopefully on the table.

"I know." Ryer said, leaning nonchalantly back in his chair and sipping his water. "Listen. If you never told Mom that you loved her...?"

"...Would I be here?" Ruka asked, pointing to herself with one hand.

"I think not."

"You know, I really can't picture myself as a married mother of two." Jesse said, putting away her makeup bag.

"It'll come." Ruka grinned. "And sides'wich Dad probably feels the same way." Jesse and Ruka slid into the seats next to James and Ryer.

"We ordered water." James said quietly, pointing out the glasses.

"Thanks." Ruka said, taking a sip from her glass. She picked up a menu.

"Man, nothing with chicken. Oh well I guess I could have a steak." she said immediately, her eyes scanning irrationally over the menu. Jesse looked through her own menu. "Hmmm." she placed her finger on an item.

"I guess I'l have that." she said quietly and put it down. Ryer and Ruka glanced from their mother to their father with a knowing expression.

"We'll be right back." They said in unison and quickly distanced themselves from the table, leaving Jesse and James sitting together alone.

"I wonder where they're going." Jesse said.

"I think I know." James mummbled, looking at his hands. Jesse looked at him. "You and Ryer weren't ..uh.. talking while we were gone were you?" she asked.

"Umm...yeah." James mumbled beginning to blush.

"What about?" Jesse asked.

"Just stuff." James replied. "Water, the future....you."

"Oh. Ruka and I talked a bit too. You know, water, the future....you." James met her eyes. They were quiet for a long moment. Then both of them in unison said. "So...me, huh?"

James and Jesse both laughed.

Jesse settled her hand on the table, looking at the wall until she felt the gentle warmth James' hand lying over hers. She looked back at him, meeting his eyes again. Neither realized how close they were until they kissed...

A few feet away underneath a table Ruka, Ryer, Mew and Meowth let out a collective, quiet cheer.

Part Eight - Homeward Bound

The stars twinkled overhead as Jesse and James climbed, hand in hand, into the repaired Rocket Balloon. Ruka and Ryer stood on the ground next to the balloon with Mew and Ruka's Ditto.

"So you're going home?" James whined.

"I figured it out over dinner." Ruka said. "Ditto... duplicate Meowth's time machine."

"Ditto!" The pokemon cried transforming into the time machine which really was a dead energizer battery and tin can.

"Smart Ruk-chan." Jesse said quietly.

"I'll miss you too." Ruka said, flinging her arms around her mother's neck.

"You only have to wait six years." Ryer smiled, hugging James.

"I don't wanna..." James sniffed. Jesse stroked Ruka's hair and kissed her cheek. "Be good for us." She said.

"We'll try." Ruka said. "But you have to keep in mind. We are Rockets. It's in out blood to be naughty."

James laughed, and patted Ryer on the shoulder. "Promise you'll never let me force you to marry someone like Jessebelle, okay?"

"Dad you wouldn't do that." he replied. The twins backed away from the balloon waving to their now crying parents. Mew purred something in Pokemon to Meowth just before the three futures touched the tin can and disappeared in a colourful shower of light. Meowth sat down sadly on the floor of the balloon. "I'm gonna miss Mew." he said, pressing his paws together. James hugged Jesse around the waist. "I know what you mean." he said.

"Hey cheer up guys." Jesse encouraged. "Six years will fly by if we try not to think about it."

"In other words this is gonna take forever." Meowth said.

"Okay fine, I'm sad too." Jesse confessed, putting her arms around James' neck and resting her head on his shoulder. She sighed. "We could always pretend they're here."

"Or we could just look through the pictures they left." James said.

"Pictures?" Jesse asked. James pulled a thick photo album into view.

"Ryer told me to keep this for when we were missing them." he said.

So as the rocket balloon drifted off into the star scattered sky the three members of (the first) Team Rocket sat down and leafed through a book of photos from the future.

"What a weird picture of you Jesse."

"What do you mean weird!?!?!"

Epilogue and Notes

 

Back